Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Golf Themed Cake


This is a Golf themed Cake I did for my Dads Surprise 60th Birthday Party. I knew once his wife asked me to do his cake for him that it was going to be golf themed..ever since I was little thats what he loved to do play golf. So when planning and figuring out what kind I wanted to do it, of course I had to do it in his favorite flavor..Angel Food! My dad is not a cake person but his sweet of choice is Angel Food Cake with Chocolate Sauce. So I wondered..how am I going to make a tiered birthday cake out of Angel Food..you would think it would be too light and spongy to hold any weight of either another cake or buttercream. So I did some research and found this Amazing recipe called a Heaven and Hell Cake..Angel food and Devils Food Cake..i thought PERFECT!!! The original receipe called for a Peanut Butter Moouse filling in the middle but I wanted to incoporate the chocolate sauce into it for him. So I alternated the Angel Food and Devils Food filling it with Chocolate Ganache and a Strawberry filling.
I had alot of fun decorating his cake :) I know I wanted to incoporate everything Golf that I could..so the bottom tier is blue and has golf clubs with golf balls in the middle. The second tier (not too pleased with but it worked lol) I attemped to do a plaid pattern with alternating blues and greens and the top I wanted to make it like a putting green so i piped grass along the side and then made the hole with the golf ball and the little pond. Overall I was very please with myself and Im pretty sure he loved it as well :)
The reviews I got from the party were crazy hahah they kept asking my fathers wife where she got the cake from (like an actual bakery) and everyone was so impressed that I made it and how good it tasted. Even my Dad.,,man of very few words..was very please and impressed with it. I think that meant more to me that everyone elses review :)
And yes it does say on the bottom "Happy Birthday Old Fart!!" hahahah Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment